December 5, 2011

iOS 5 vs . Ice Cream Sandwich

So December 26th is my cell phone upgrade date. I'm hearing great things about Android 4.0, and I didn't think I would be so soon, but I am now considering ditching the iPhone. I also remember not considering getting an iPhone in the first place, but things change. I am interested in the software differences and capabilities of the two operating systems, (more than the physical features) and so I will discuss them here to help make my decision.



Some general specs of each system:
iOS 5 - Dual Core 1GHz, 512MB RAM, 64GB max storage
Android 4.0 - Dual Core 1.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 16GB max storage

I have heard that even with the slightly better specs here, the iPhone still runs faster and smoother. I am taking that into consideration as we move onto the next area.



One thing I have been hearing alot of from Android is this new face-recognition unlocking feature, so you can unlock the phone by staring into the camera. This is not an advantage or benefit to me, and neither is Siri, and neither is the Near Field Communication Technology (yet), although it is innovative for a change, so I like where it's going. However I do have some security concerns about this concept as well, but I'll get to that after people start using it more, perhaps they already have some things in place I don't know about.

I like the extra freedom the Android allows in customizing the home screen, without being locked into the structured grid (icon placement) of the iOS home screen.

Okay, iPhone users (inlcuding myself) are saying "There's an app for that". The point here is that they have created an OS which includes all of these things the people use, they don't have to go hunt for them and extensively customize their system to have a comfortable environment.



It seems like Android 4.0 has more usefulness out of the box, which means the company is listening and/or paying attention to the market, which leads me to believe they will continue to make even better products down the road, instead of churning out the very same machine with slight upgrades each time.

At the end of the day, I still hold in my hand an iPhone, and I have never even used the Galaxy Nexus I am reviewing, but it seems to me that Android 4.0 wins via innovation, and daring to try something new!

Let me know what I have left out. I know there are more knowledgeable people reading this who can give me some advice.


Sources: The Inquirer - Samsung Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4S
CNet - Ice Cream Sandwich vs. iOS 5
AndPlus - Where's The Hype?

No comments:

Post a Comment